A 6/12 roof pitch means the roof rises 6 inches for every 12 inches of horizontal run, resembling a moderate slope.
Here are some characteristics of a 6/12 roof pitch…
- Moderate Slope – It strikes a balance between traditional aesthetics and practical considerations.
- Visible Pitch – It adds architectural interest to the building’s exterior while still being practical for shedding water and snow.
- Usable Attic Space – there is typically enough space in the attic for storage or potentially finishing the space for additional living area.
- Aesthetic Appeal – it is commonly used in residential construction because it provides a classic, traditional look that is visually appealing.
- Roofing Material Considerations – A pitch can accommodate a wide range of roofing materials, including asphalt shingles, metal roofing, cedar shakes, and more.
Overall, a 6/12 roof pitch is a versatile and popular choice for residential construction due to its balanced combination of aesthetics, practicality, and functionality.